Homemade granola can be a healthy snack for any occasion.
It’s typically sweetened with honey, sugar or maple syrup and usually contains nuts and dried fruit and then baked in the oven. Sounds pretty easy, doesn’t it?
So instead of paying for those expensive, ready-made granolas, with a few simple ingredients you can you can have an energy boosting, healthy snack for a fraction of the cost.
Granola is also extremely versatile so you can add any kind of grain, nut, seed and dried fruit you want. As long as you keep the basic quantities the same, you can make a wide variety of granolas to suit your family.
Here are some ideas for ingredients to include:
Grain – Oat meal (NOT instant or quick oats), rye flakes, barley flakes, quinoa, wheat bran
Oil – Coconut, olive or another healthy oil
Sweetener – Honey, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar
Dried fruit – Raisins, dates, sweet coconut, currents, diced dry apples, pears, cherries, cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, banana, figs, mango, pineapple and papaya
Nuts – Peanuts, walnuts, pecans, cashews, pistachio or almonds
Seeds – Sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin or your favorite seeds
Spices – Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, ginger or any other spice that you like
Flavored chips – Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch
Flavoring/extract – Vanilla, maple orange or your favorite extract. You can even use apple juice.
- 3-4 cups grain
- 1 1/2 cup nuts
- 1 1/2 cups seeds (optional)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup sweetener
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon spices (combined)
- 1 cup dried fruit (optional & added after baking)
- 1 cup candy pieces (optional & added after baking)
- In a large bowl, mix the grains, nuts, seeds and coconut. In a smaller bowl, mix the sweetener, extract, spices, salt and oil. Pour liquid over grains and mix until everything is well coated.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Stir and bake another 15-20 minutes or until toasty brown.
- Add fruit and mix well. Allow granola to cool completely and store in an airtight container on the counter for up to ten days or freeze for up to 90 days.
Homemade granola is so easy to make and it’s usually something that everyone will enjoy. Try using different fruits, grains and seed mixes for a custom snack.
There’s Only HOW Many Days Left Until Christmas?