Having an organized laundry room makes one of the most dreaded chores in the household a little easier.
The good news is, with just a few changes, you can have organized laundry room in no time.
Here are a few tips on how to keep your laundry room more organized and efficient so you can spend more time doing other things in the house.
1. Throw Away the Unnecessary
Any time there’s a need to organize, you have to go through and throw away what you don’t need. Whatever the size of your laundry room, go through each cabinet, drawer or shelf.
While your going through the items, ask yourself these questions:
1. If it’s expired, is is still usable?
2. Is this item really needed in the laundry room?
Then put them in one of 4 piles:
- Move to another room
Be sure not to skip this step. It’s so easy to let the laundry room become the catch-all for items that you really don’t know where they need to go. By clearing up the clutter, you’ll make way for this room’s real purpose: doing the laundry!
2. Create Categories for Your Laundry Items
Now that you’ve gotten rid of the nonessential items, separate what’s left into categories. For example; cleaning products, laundry accessories, baskets, etc. This way you can see what and how much you have.
3. Create Storage Spaces
- Use a slide-out tower (like the one above) to store all your laundry essentials. It fits easily between the washer and dryer.
- Use overhead cabinets to hold detergents and other cleaning products.
- Use open bins or baskets to hold items like ironing equipment, hangers, etc.
- Mount a drying rack to the wall to conserve space.
- Use small containers like jars to house the coins and other treasures you find in pockets.
- Keep a trash can handy for any trash you may find in the clothing as well as a place to pitch lint and used dryer sheets.
4. Use Laundry Sorters
A definite must-have for any organized laundry room is the 3-bin laundry sorter. Instead of just throwing everything together, you can have everything already sorted. I love this laundry sorter because it has the ironing board right on top! How convenient is that?!
Now that you worked hard at getting your laundry room organized, be sure to keep it that way.
Just taking a few minutes to put items back in their proper place can make a big difference. This alone will help you maintain your laundry room’s cleanliness and help you to stay more organized.